the mosque question

"They" want to build a mosque near ground zero in NYC, and people are all a twitter about it.  Even the language surrounding the story reinforces the divide.  My take - well, I'll to take the opportunity to introduce you to a blog I've been reading that I am enjoying, The Uppity Negro Network.  The Uppity Negro as he pens himself, real name unknown to me, examines the mosque-building issue better than I.  A taste:

Again, let me say emphatically, that I do not condone violence and that terrorist cells within the Islamic faith and culture need to be swiftly dealt with, but by the same token, we have to take a look at ourselves: we’re spewing the same hate that’s alleged against us.  We hear more from our elected officials and political spazzlewhorfs that bloviate on television speaking against the Muslim faith as a whole than any Muslim American we’ve ever seen interviewed on TV.
And we wonder why they don’t like us.
Apparently this is an issue about cultural symbolism.  Yes, it’s fueled by the deeper philosophical and religious issues, but it’s manifesting itself as a problem about cultural symbolism.  So much so Rep. John Cornyn (R) of Texas was quoted as saying flatly “This is not about freedom of religion.”
Any reference to politicians as bloviating spazzlewhorfs gets an immediate repost on principal alone, even if I can never mention the blog title aloud in public.

Comments

  1. Hey Erin,
    Thanks SO much for your post on this topic. As someone who cherishes my personal relationships with Muslims I have met, it hurts to know that so many in our society are blind to the deep implications when we "spew the same hate alleged against us".

    Blind or sadly, some who don't care. 8(

    Why is it that an event like 9/11 could bring so many people together and yet still polarize and tear others farther and farther apart?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I cherish your comments, but not vileness or wickedness. By vileness I mean Spam, and wickedness I mean hateful speech. Unless it's about spam.

Popular Posts