The Gospel According to Ricky Bobby


I think I have found the illustration to demonstrate the subjective appropriation of textual meaning I have been searching for. All my life.
"Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus, don’t even know a word yet, just a little infant, so cuddly, but still omnipotent. We’d just like to thank you for all the races I’ve won and the $21.2 million, LOVE THAT MONEY! That I have accrued over this past season. Also due to a binding endorsement contract that stipulates I mention PowerAde at each grace, I just wanna say that PowerAde is delicious and it cools you off on a hot summer day and we look forward to PowerAde’s release of mystic mountain blueberry. Thank you, for all your power and your grace, Dear Baby God, Amen."
I think I'm in love. It may have to become a regular feature. (Chime in with your opinion!).

The picture and quote illustrates the post-enlightenment dilemma of interpreting scripture: How can we become aware of the assumptions we unknowingly bring to the table* when we try to interpret? At what point are we just seeing Jesus the way we want to, not how He is?** How has our world, dominated by secular materialist assumptions, warped our understanding of the Gospel? If we don't understand how our particular situations shape our thinking about scripture then like Ricky Bobby the world will only reinforce what we already believe. How will the Gospel ever be able to say something truly new to you? How can we ever hear something new about our lives? Let those with ears to hear, listen...

*(OMG this works on so many levels...)

**I'm sure that revelation is somehow the answer.

Comments

Popular Posts